You get burned by a jellyfish on the beach, here's what you should do as soon as possible...

2024-06-17 07:55:55 / JETË ALFA PRESS

You get burned by a jellyfish on the beach, here's what you should do as

Jellyfish are dangerous because the release of their venom into the skin is extremely burning and painful, and severe allergic reactions are possible in some people.

In the case of a jellyfish sting, you should act quickly and correctly, while you should not listen to some myths.

Some species of poisonous jellyfish are Pelagia noctiluca and Aurelia aurita, but the compass jellyfish (Chrysaora hysoscella), the jellyfish Pelagia benovici, is also appearing in the Adriatic Sea.

Most jellyfish are up to 10 centimeters long, but some can grow up to 40 centimeters. The compass jellyfish or sea nettle is a species characterized by a yellow-brown cap that resembles a compass.

These tiny animals have long arms with glowing cells that secrete poisonous contents if touched. When it comes into contact with the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract, an increased allergic reaction may occur. If a jellyfish is swallowed, it can be life-threatening.

Symptoms of a jellyfish sting

When there is direct contact and burning of the jellyfish, a local allergic reaction will occur. The burn can appear exactly at the point of contact, but also in the surrounding part of the skin.

It is usually a rash that can develop into blisters and burns. Wounds can remain at the point of contact for a long time. Dizziness, weakness, headache, high body temperature and loss of consciousness can also occur with burns.

If you spot a jellyfish while swimming, the first thing you should do is move as far away as you can. Do not touch the jellyfish and if you must remove it, do so with an object.

When a burn occurs, simply rinse the affected area with salt water (not sweet) or vinegar. Do not rub the contact area further, as this may further rub the venom into the skin. Never treat a burn with bare fingers, that is, do not touch the burned area with bare skin.

Tentacles can remain on the skin after a burn, and you can try to remove them with tweezers, but rinsing with vinegar or alcohol will already block their action. If there are blisters on the skin and more severe burning and itching, cooling creams can also be used. The pain can be felt long after the jellyfish has stung you, in which case you can use cold compresses on the skin and analgesic to reduce the pain.

After a jellyfish attack, it is necessary to remove all tentacles if they remain on the skin. Do not rub it into the skin, but rub it in a circular motion. After removing them, apply vinegar or alcohol again.

Treatment of the skin after a jellyfish sting can take several days. The burned part of the skin should not stay in the sun for a while. A burn can be dangerous if it occurs on the neck, head and eyes. In this case, consult a doctor immediately.

Happening now...