Axios: Hamas promises Trump envoy it will demilitarize Gaza

2026-08-17 12:41:00 / BOTA ALFA PRESS
Axios: Hamas promises Trump envoy it will demilitarize Gaza

Hamas has reaffirmed its commitment to disarm and demilitarize Gaza during direct talks with US President Donald Trump's adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, Axios reported on Sunday, citing a source familiar with the matter.

The meeting was intended to cement a Hamas promise first made in late July, when Trump announced that his Peace Board – an international body he chairs to oversee the implementation of his peace plan in Gaza – had reached a “historic agreement” with the Palestinian group on disarmament and the transfer of civilian and security control to a technocratic administration.

In return, the Peace Board would pressure Israel to take appropriate steps, including an initial withdrawal of troops, while accelerating humanitarian aid and reconstruction.

During a rare 90-minute face-to-face meeting in Egypt on Sunday, Kushner reportedly told Hamas' political chief, Khalil al-Hayya, that the group must take "tangible steps toward disarmament if it wants Israel to take steps of its own."

 

According to Axios, the meeting was also attended by Egyptian intelligence chief Hassan Rashad, Qatari diplomat Ali al-Thawadi, and a senior Turkish official, along with representatives of the Peace Board and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

The source claimed that Al-Hayya asked Kushner to tell Trump that Hamas remains committed to giving up its weapons.

“We thanked them for their commitment, but we want to see real efforts [from Hamas] and not just words,” the source said. “It was important that Kushner personally engage them in this commitment.”

Hamas later confirmed in a statement that it remains committed to the action plan, citing a permanent ceasefire, a complete Israeli withdrawal, continued aid and reconstruction. However, the group did not explicitly mention disarmament.

Kushner is expected to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday to discuss reciprocal measures. Last week, Netanyahu rejected the plan, insisting that Israeli forces would not withdraw until Hamas was “truly disarmed.”

Meanwhile, on Sunday, the foreign ministers of Turkey, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates issued a joint statement condemning Israel's rejection of the framework for peace and Palestinian statehood.

The eight countries said West Jerusalem bears “direct and full responsibility” for hindering peace efforts. They called for active US involvement in implementing the plan, which was approved by UN Security Council Resolution 2803.

 

Po ndodh...